If you've landed on this blog by mistake, please follow this link:


www.Illinois.PreppersNetwork.com

Please update your bookmarks and the links on your sites.



Join our forum at:


Saturday, February 6, 2010

How did you add to your preps this week?

Actually, I guess I should say How did you add to your preps these past 2 weeks?, because 2 weeks ago was the last time I asked. Now, I don't ask this to try and flaunt what I did or to make you feel bad if you didn't prep. I ask because I want to keep it on our minds! I don't want to forget that prepping is a day in/day out things that I need to be doing. It isn't something that we do once and forget about. It's really a different way of life and we need to encourage each other in this journey because there isn't a whole lot of encouragement from the rest of the world. Any emergency is right around the corner, and I want to be continually preparing for whatever it might be.

So, towards that end, I personally canned chicken soup and chicken stock, and I dehydrated another 6 pounds of apples that were on sale for a great price. I have always frozen 2-cup containers of chicken stock. The problem is, when I need it and have forgotten to thaw it, I spend a little time melting it before use. Boy, having canned chicken stock is great! I used one pint already this week because I forgot to thaw the frozen stuff! (Silly me!) I'm definitely going to can more of it the next time I cook another bird!

Prep on!
Gen-IL Homesteader

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm shamefully going to admit I got a dehydrator for Christmas and have not used it yet. You are just totally motivating me. I've been in a funk lately. Too much going on! Do you vaccuum seal your dehydrated stuff or put them in a jar/container? Homemade stock is the best. We usually use ours as soon as its made or have plans for it soon after. My family is too big, so we maximize each meal to get the most out of it.

Gen-IL Homesteader said...

I don't have a vacuum seal, so I just put my foods in canning jars! I also bought 6 green peppers on clearance that I'm going to get in the dehydrator tomorrow. I love gr. pepper on my pizza, so it's nice to have it handy.
You know, it was watching the SurvivorMom news show that got me motivated to dehydrate more, because she and her kids were doing it there!! And the canned chicken stock! Wow, that stuff is great! It's so much easier than frozen! How big is your family, Shelly? It's just hubby and I here now.

Illinois Preppers Network Est. Jan 17, 2009 All contributed articles owned and protected by their respective authors and protected by their copyright. Illinois Preppers Network is a trademark protected by American Preppers Network Inc. All rights reserved. No content or articles may be reproduced without explicit written permission.