If you've landed on this blog by mistake, please follow this link:


www.Illinois.PreppersNetwork.com

Please update your bookmarks and the links on your sites.



Join our forum at:


Sunday, February 21, 2010

May I rant for a moment?


I hope you don't mind, but something is really annoying me and I just want to get it off of my chest!

So, hubby and I had a wonderful time visiting with our son in FL last week. Everything about the trip went smoothly, until we landed in Milwaukee airport. We picked up our suitcase and there was a plastic zip-tie holding the two ends of our zipper together. 'Hmmm', we thought. 'That's strange'. But, we were excited to see our daughter and son-in-law, so we loaded the case and jumped in the truck. When we got home, hubby broke the tie and opened the suitcase. There inside, we found a piece of paper, part of which is pictured above. The paper informed us that our baggage had been one of many that were randomly checked by the TSA, to protect us and our fellow passengers.

Um, excuse me? So, my baggage was rifled through without my knowledge, by some who-knows-who? You know, this is what happens when we (including myself here) put up with practically stripping down to our skivvies to have to walk through airport scanners. This is what comes from us putting up with small infringements on our rights. The TSA doesn't believe in the 4th Amendment which protects "The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures," If the airline themselves wanted to look through my baggage, that would be their right. They own the planes that I'm about to fly on. They have a vested interest in protecting their goods. The government, as far as I'm concerned, has no interest in it and should be concerned only about protecting my rights. They are prohibited, by the Constitution, from rifling through my baggage (unless I was suspected of wrongdoing and a warrant was obtained).Obviously, we know our rights are of no concern to most in govt, but this is one more way they showed it.

When hubby and I went to Jamaica years ago, the airport (don't know if it was govt or not) chose random folks and went through their baggage IN FRONT OF THEM. They didn't do it secretly in some backroom, and then leave a note after the fact informing the baggage owner. At the very least, the TSA should have the common courtesy to handle things the way they were handled in Jamaica. (Even though I still believe it's not the govt's job to do it.)

I see this whole situation as another proof of the whittling away of our rights, the silent erosion that is happening which will one day lead us to serfdom or revolution. This whole thing annoys me to no end, and I'm planning on expressing my views to our elected officials and the TSA. (I know, they don't care. But, I have to do something!)

End of rant. On to better things.....Our house sitter didn't finish the milk that was in the fridge, so it got dumped because it was outdated. I washed it out and now have one more greenhouse for my spring planting! Woo-Hoo! We ran to the 'big box building store' today and I bought a few more of the garden seeds I needed. (They were on sale, too!) I think I'm finally set. All the seeds, except one package, are in the freezer so that I can test Upinak's theory (AK Preppers). I'll leave the seeds in the freezer for another week, then take them out for a few days, and then start some things under lights! Oh, I can't wait!! I've got a number of extra seed packets for future years, and will go and get even more. Seeds are one thing you don't want to be without!

Prep on!
Gen-IL Homesteader

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Unbelievable! I think I would feel so violated. Almost like someone breaking into your house, only it was luggage.

Just can't shake the feeling we're all being watched all the time. Thinking of getting rid of cell phone, cable, and the like. Some people claim the new boxes are gov't watchers and cell phones can be traced to about anywhere. Now schools that give out laptops are monitoring and watching our kids. There is absolutely no more freedom. Glad you had a nice visit with your son.

Gen-IL Homesteader said...

WE're living in scary times, aren't we? I wish there was somewhere in the world where we could run and hide!

I've heard about the tv box thingie and I hope it isn't true because we have one. Thankfully we don't watch it too much.

With cell phones, if you don't use it much (I don't--only for emergencies) you could get a prepaid and you don't have to give your name or address.

Regarding the TSA note: the 'best' part of the paper was the paragraph where it said that if you had locks on your baggage, they had to break them but they weren't responsible to replace the locks or repay you. Nice, eh?

Illinois Preppers Network Est. Jan 17, 2009 All contributed articles owned and protected by their respective authors and protected by their copyright. Illinois Preppers Network is a trademark protected by American Preppers Network Inc. All rights reserved. No content or articles may be reproduced without explicit written permission.