If you've landed on this blog by mistake, please follow this link:


www.Illinois.PreppersNetwork.com

Please update your bookmarks and the links on your sites.



Join our forum at:


Sunday, November 14, 2010

Meeting With Preppers..........

(Here we are checking out a friend's pantry.)
Hi everyone! I can't believe it's been 5 days since I've signed in here! Where has the time gone? It seems to be flying by sooooo quickly! (I think that means I'm getting older!) Anyway, I wanted to let you know how my first prepper meeting went this past week. To refresh your memory, I'm meeting at the homes of my sister and our 2 closest friends so that we can take stock of their preps and identify their strengths and weaknesses. We're also discussing reasons for prepping. One of our friends has only 'woken up' to prepping in the past few weeks, so she's a major newborn! At her house, we're going to be figuring out where she can have her food storage and helping her get started.


This past week, though, we met at the house of our friend who woke up to prepping only a few months ago. We discovered that she's fairly strong in the area of veggies, but fruits and proteins are lacking. There was a small amount of grains/pastas. She didn't have any water stored, so we encouraged her to start storing it.


The meeting went very well. It was exciting to talk with others who are waking up to the idea of prepping. It was part teaching and part learning as even as beginning preppers they had some good ideas. (We're never too old to learn, right?)
There's a fellow prepper in the next town who is my ordering buddy--when we need to place prepping orders, we let each other know so that we can share shipping costs. We had ordered some dehydrated goods in the past week and I went to pick up my food tonight at his house. He let me check out his 'bunker' where he stores his food. What fun that was!! I mean, I've only seen my stocked pantry in real life, but I've viewed other's food storage in pictures online. So, to step into someone else's food storage.....it was quite a delight, let me tell you! He has a great stock, and I was quite inspired!
I hope that you have other preppers in your life that you meet with. It's wonderful to talk to someone who thinks like you do. Really! Being with like-minded folks makes you feel like you're not alone, but it also gives you a chance to teach and learn from others.
Prep On!
Gen-IL Homesteader
------------------------------------------
Join the APN Forum at http://www.americanpreppersnetwork.net/
Visit the Illinois Forum at http://www.illinoispreppersnetwork.net/

4 comments:

Unknown said...

It sounds like your get together was a success. I really think this is an awesome idea. Sometimes others can see what you are missing, even though it is right there in front of you. I really believe that there are going to be many more folks getting interested in prepping. The economy is in the tank and I think they will FINALLY start waking up. Things are getting interesting for sure! I think we that are already prepping should be ready to step up and help those who are just starting this journey!

Anonymous said...

I concur with SciFi. lol I am a firm believer that it is never too late to prep. A months worth of food is better than nothing. With the price of commodities on the rise more people will be trying to stockpile to get goods at cheaper prices. Hopefully this will lead many to simplify their lives and go back to the land.

I have to say it must have been fun to get to peek at others food storage to help with strengths and weaknesses.

Gen-IL Homesteader said...

Hey SciFiChick! Thanks for stopping in!! I miss reading your posts!
I totally agree. I'm just amazed that there aren't more of us prepping. I'm mean, folks are waking up, but NOT ENOUGH of them! This ship is sinking fast!

Gen-IL Homesteader said...

Hi Shelly!! Oh, it was fun to see that pantry!! I was like a kid in a candy store (except I didn't take anything! :)) I mean, don't you LOVE to see pics of people's pantry? I sure do! So, to step in one and REALLY see it was fabulous!

Illinois Preppers Network Est. Jan 17, 2009 All contributed articles owned and protected by their respective authors and protected by their copyright. Illinois Preppers Network is a trademark protected by American Preppers Network Inc. All rights reserved. No content or articles may be reproduced without explicit written permission.