If you've landed on this blog by mistake, please follow this link:


www.Illinois.PreppersNetwork.com

Please update your bookmarks and the links on your sites.



Join our forum at:


Monday, December 28, 2009

Emergency Car Kit

Do you know the 5 seasons in Illinois? Almost Winter, Winter, Still Winter, Road Construction, and D@*& Hot! Hehehe! But, seriously folks, we've got alot of winter left here in Illinois. In one of MMPaints' last posts, she mentioned IL driving and how careful we need to be. I wanted to continue that by talking about emerency car kits. I think we've all heard of folks who've gotten stranded in their cars in the winter, and died. Would this have happened if they'd been prepared with a few supplies? I don't know about you, but I'd like to be as prepared as I can in my car in winter, if for no other reason than I don't want to be freezin' cold while I'm sitting there waiting for help!

I pulled my car kit out today and took inventory of what I had. I needed to add a few things to it. Here is a list of possible items you may want to have in your car at all times.
Water
Food
Gloves, Hats
Sand or Kitty Litter
(for tire traction)
Camp Shovel
Matches
Mirror
(to signal for help)
Car Cell Phone Charger
Candle (be sure to leave a window open a crack if you use a candle in the car)
Blankets
Whistle
(it's louder than you can shout)
Flashlight
TP
Jumper Cables
Extra Socks
Extra Clothes and Coats

I store extra gloves and hats in case I have others in the car with me, or in case my own gloves get wet while trying to dig myself out. I also have an extra pair of old boots in my car as I usually dress to my outfit, and not the weather. I keep a few plastic grocery bags to keep feet dry in case someone's shoes are leaking.

Most of the items on this list can be gathered by a quick run through your house right now. Why not get a box of things together so that IF an emergency happens while you're out, you'll be more prepared to handle it! Anything you have that will aid in your survival and comfort in an emergency is a great asset!

Prep on!
Gen-IL Homesteader

No comments:

Illinois Preppers Network Est. Jan 17, 2009 All contributed articles owned and protected by their respective authors and protected by their copyright. Illinois Preppers Network is a trademark protected by American Preppers Network Inc. All rights reserved. No content or articles may be reproduced without explicit written permission.