If you've landed on this blog by mistake, please follow this link:


www.Illinois.PreppersNetwork.com

Please update your bookmarks and the links on your sites.



Join our forum at:


Friday, March 5, 2010

The Problem with Prepping!



That's right! I said it. There IS a problem with prepping.





Sure, the security that comes with jars of food on your shelves is great. Yeah, the skills learned by gardening, canning, freezing, and dehydrating are invaluable. The fact that all that food and TP can save you money, protect you in the event of a job loss, or allow you to eat cheaply in the event of inflation/hyperinflation is a great thing. But the problem is,

WHERE DO I PUT IT ALL?????

I am so anal about my organization. I have to have things where they belong; meats with other protein meals, veggies together, fruits together, etc. But, when you're constantly prepping, finding good deals, getting mark-down food, canning meats and produce, well, you tend to run out of room! Every few weeks or so, I pull out my trusty step-ladder and start rearranging things. Move these here, put those over there. Trying desperately to make everything fit where I think it should fit!

At this moment in time, I have canned shrimp on top of canned plums! (Horror!!!) Yeah, that's what happens when you buy a totally new food that isn't in your shelves yet. Hubby likes to peek in when I'm reorganizing and ask 'How's it going?' with a little smirk on his face. Somehow, I fail to see the humor. ;)

So, this weekend I'll deal with the problem with prepping. You can find me on my step ladder in the pantry. Rearranging again. (But, loving it all the same!)

For some fun viewing, here's a link to a cool homemade food rotation shelving unit. I think I'm going to put it on hubby's future to-do list!

Prep On!
Gen-IL Homesteader

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't ya just love this job. Almost like laundry, never ending! We started using 5 gallon buckets for stuff like jello, pudding, side dishes that come in bags,etc... We are slowly weaning ourselves from prepackaged food, but when there's a good sale, I buy just in case it is needed and if we don't use it, we can just donate.

upinak said...

Oh I can tell you stories.... especially of food that is left and found years later.

My mom (who lives with me) is a hoarder, so imagine someone who constantly buys food.... and I have to figure out how old it is!

Gen-IL Homesteader said...

Shelly, You're right--it IS a job! I'm trying to keep my eyes on fresh produce (stuff that I don't grow here) and buy it on clearance to dehydrate or can. Trying to make my canned goods my 'prepackaged foods'.

I got all the Ragu pasta sauces (actually got 20 total) 'free' with catalinas. Don't use much of it at all, but like you said, it was a great deal and I couldn't pass it up! Gave half to my daughter and sister. Might as well 'share the love'!

Mechanic in Illinois said...

I store as much as I can in plastic totes. I get the kind like auto part stores get their parts in. They can be stacked about six high. I put the stuff I use most on the top of the stack. Write on the end what's in the tote. This works out ok for me but I sure would like to have some of the rotatable can storage units. Thanks for a good blog.

Gen-IL Homesteader said...

Upinak, When my in-laws moved, they found a box of jello mix that was 13 years old!! :) She's a good prepper, but misses all the kids at home to help rotate stuff!

Illinois Preppers Network Est. Jan 17, 2009 All contributed articles owned and protected by their respective authors and protected by their copyright. Illinois Preppers Network is a trademark protected by American Preppers Network Inc. All rights reserved. No content or articles may be reproduced without explicit written permission.