If you've landed on this blog by mistake, please follow this link:


www.Illinois.PreppersNetwork.com

Please update your bookmarks and the links on your sites.



Join our forum at:


Tuesday, November 30, 2010

12 Days of Prepper Christmas--Day 1

(Since I showed you my frugal fall window boxes, I figured I should show you my frugal Christmas window boxes. The only thing that cost money was the ornaments!)



Hi everyone!! In a past year, Matt from KY Preppers did a series of posts entitled 12 Days of Prepper Christmas. My thanks to Matt and APN for allowing me to use that title for my own series of posts. I hope that you will find something useful that will help make your own Christmas more fun, frugal, and wonderful!


Can you sew, crochet, or knit? If so, you have the ability to make some wonderful Christmas gifts in your own home, with your own hands! And what better kind of gift is there!! Crocheted dishcloths (like the ones I made, pictured below) only take a few minutes of your time. You can find a few patterns here, or do I like I did and use the pattern provided with the skeen of yarn you purchase. These dishcloths, made with cotton yarn, are so thick and scrumptous to use. I absolutely LOVE them and continue to make more to replace my worn out ones. I'm sure that anyone who receives a gift like this, made with love, will appreciate it immensely. Obviously, if you knit, there are patterns for dishcloths, including those found at this link.

If you sew, I would suggest a gift of homemade cloth napkins. Some of my own Christmas napkins are pictured below. Cloth napkins not only save trees, save money, and reduce trash and waste, but they make people feel so special when they use them. I always feel that life is a bit more refined when I use a cloth versus a paper napkin. (I have a nephew who, after living out of state for 1.5 years, had a meal with us and remarked how much he always loved using my cloth napkins!) If you have some leftover fabric pieces laying around, you're ahead of the game because you have free supplies! I'm sure there are patterns out there somewhere, but all I did was cut out my fabric in squares that looked 'about the right size' and hem the edges. (All of our napkins sets are different sizes as I had more of some fabrics than others! They're unique!) If you have a serger, hemming the edges will be even easier! (Remember to keep some paper napkins on hand, though, for emergencies!!)
One of the best homemade gifts I've received was a homemade matching apron and hot pad. My sister made these for us 'girls' one year based on the pattern of one of our mom's vintage aprons. It is a delight to use, so pretty and comfy, and I think of my sister everytime I use it! If you're a prepper who has committed to cooking largely from scratch, you know how valuable an apron is! (And doesn't it just make you feel so wonderful to wear one! I sure love it!) You might find an apron you'd like to make from this list of patterns.
Lastly, if you do know how to crochet, knit, or sew, think of giving a gift of free lessons to a friend who is wanting to learn this skill. This will cost nothing to you but your time, and will be wonderful skill to pass on to someone else. One of the skills I wanted to learn in 2010 is knitting. Well, 2010 is quickly drawing to a close and I haven't learned yet! But, my sister is taking her first lesson this week from a friend and she said that when she (or her daughter) have it down, they'll teach me! It might not happen in 2010, but it is on the radar!
Prep On!
Gen-IL Homesteader










------------------------------------------
Join the APN Forum at http://www.americanpreppersnetwork.net/
Visit the Illinois Forum at http://www.illinoispreppersnetwork.net/

2 comments:

Andrea said...

My husband picked up a kit for me a year or two ago called "I Taught Myself To Knit" that is simply invaluable. Very good instruction book and everything is included; needles, the little row counter thingy, ruler, etc.

Another great gift idea is felted wool items. Take a 100% wool sweater, wash it in hot water, dry it on high and then use it like any other fabric. It won't fray, requires little/no hemming and makes the most deliciously warm mittens and hats you'll ever find. These are the mittens we wear when we play in the snow. They repel water and keep your fingers almost sweaty-warm, no matter how long you play outside.

Gen-IL Homesteader said...

Oh, Andrea, that wool idea sounds wonderful! I'll bet wool sweaters can be found real cheaply at the thrift store. Thanks for the tip! I'm also going to remember the knitting kit you have. Today was the day my sister had her first knitting lesson, so I'll see what she learned (and what she can teach me!).

Illinois Preppers Network Est. Jan 17, 2009 All contributed articles owned and protected by their respective authors and protected by their copyright. Illinois Preppers Network is a trademark protected by American Preppers Network Inc. All rights reserved. No content or articles may be reproduced without explicit written permission.