If you've landed on this blog by mistake, please follow this link:


www.Illinois.PreppersNetwork.com

Please update your bookmarks and the links on your sites.



Join our forum at:


Wednesday, December 1, 2010

12 Days of Prepper Christmas--Day 2

Hi everyone!! In a past year, Matt from KY Preppers did a series of posts entitled 12 Days of Prepper Christmas. My thanks to Matt and APN for allowing me to use that title for my own series of posts. I hope that you will find something useful that will make your own Christmas more fun, frugal, and wonderful!


So, today's gift might not appeal to all of you, but I am really excited about it! I'm making my own kahlua! That's right. Homemade kahlua! A few months back, we had a taste of this when a friend of ours, Brian, shared his. Oh my, was it good! I just knew I had to try the recipe myself and share it with you here! This recipe would make a great, frugal, homemade gift. (I'm giving it to you now because it needs to set for 4 weeks!)
The ingredients list is simple: 2 3/4 cups sugar, 3/4 cup dark karo syrup, 3 tbsp. instant coffee granules, 3 cups boiling water divided, 2 oz. vanilla, 750ml vodka. As you can see, I chose the cheap coffee (yes, it is the Walmart brand) and cheap vodka. It's okay to do that in this recipe!
The first step is to place 2 3/4 cups sugar plus 3/4 cup dark karo syrup in a bowl. Into this, add 2 cups boiling water and stir until the sugar is dissolved. In another bowl, place 3 tbsp. instant coffee granules and add 1 cup boiling water. Stir (I just realized my next 2 pictures are backwards. *sigh* You understand, right?)

Combine your sugar mix, coffee mix, vanilla, and vodka. Stir. Now pour this into containers. You can use old cleaned-out liquor jugs if you have them. I used canning jars, because that's what I had available. Put lids on; date your jars.


Now you just need to cover these and put them in a dark location for the next month. Brian says that he believes his kahlua always turns out better when it's in a completely dark location. Shake your jars once a week. At the end of 4 weeks open your jars and enjoy! A single batch only made 2 quart jars and one almost-filled pint jar. My suggestion would be to make a double batch. I'm going to be giving some of these as Christmas gifts in a box with instructions to keep it in a dark place for a few more days (till the 29th) and then Enjoy!
Don't know how to use kahlua? Lots of folks splash it in their coffee. Kahlua 'n cream is a great drink that is equal parts kahlua and cream. My group of girlfriends has adopted a shot as our own. Since this is a family blog, I won't say it's real name. But, mixing equal parts kahlua and butterscotch schnapps in a shot glass will get you the most tasty drink. You'll be wanting to lick the glass!



Prep On!
Gen-IL Homesteader






------------------------------------------
Join the APN Forum at http://www.americanpreppersnetwork.net/
Visit the Illinois Forum at http://www.illinoispreppersnetwork.net/

5 comments:

Andrea said...

I do this every year for Christmas! Not Kahlua specifically, but homemade liquers and cordials. So delicious, so inexpensive and if you give them to your inlaws, the holidays go so much more smoothly :)

Gen-IL Homesteader said...

Anything to make the inlaws more bearable, eh? ;) You should post recipes for the other liquers you make. I'd love to see some others! THanks for stopping in, Andrea!

Andrea said...

Most of what I make doesn't really have a recipe. Right now I have blueberry, pomegranate and orange flavored vodkas steeping. Plus vanilla bourbon and apricot brandy. Last year I made limoncello with vodka and lemon zest. The previous year it was blackberry cordial (just google it.)

Gen-IL Homesteader said...

Wow! Those all sound great! You know, hubby likes flavored vodkas, so I always buy them that way. It never crossed my mind to flavor my own! Thanks for the idea!

Andrea said...

It's such a simple idea, but you can make it so impressive! I poured the limoncello into a pretty bottle, covered the cork with a bit of pretty fabric and secured the fabric with metallic gold thread. Then I attached a card-stock card with the name of our little homestead (Chicky-Bit Run) and the year.

Illinois Preppers Network Est. Jan 17, 2009 All contributed articles owned and protected by their respective authors and protected by their copyright. Illinois Preppers Network is a trademark protected by American Preppers Network Inc. All rights reserved. No content or articles may be reproduced without explicit written permission.