If you've landed on this blog by mistake, please follow this link:


www.Illinois.PreppersNetwork.com

Please update your bookmarks and the links on your sites.



Join our forum at:


Thursday, April 21, 2011

5 Bad Things, Earthquakes, and a Prepper Recipe

Hi everyone! How are you? Have you gone crazy yet, with this spring-winter-spring-summer-winter-type of weather we've been having?? I'm certain (almost) that spring will officially be here....one of these days!!


A few things today.....Did you see this article by John Hawkins? It's entitled '5 Things That Will Happen To You When America Goes Bankrupt'. I don't know about you but I like to read articles like this because they bring me back to reality. Not the day-to-day reality of life, but the reality of what I truly believe it coming. It's impossible to think that we can continue on in the way we've been going in this country. There is a big crash coming. I fear that the longer it takes to get here, the worse it will be. MMPaints, a contributor here, lives in southern IL and she says that the economic tide in her area is very rough. Things are not going well at all, and the downturn in the economy is quite obvious. Well, I live in the northern part of the state, and it's pretty much business-as-usual up here. Shopping malls are full of shoppers, Walmart is as busy as ever, restaurants are jammed packed with eaters. Aside from an increase in foreclosed homes, you'd never think there was any financial trouble by looking at what's going on up here. If you live in an area like I do, make sure you keep reading articles like the one I mentioned so you remember what's really going on and why you should continue to prep.


Have you heard of this 'exercise' that the state of IL and a few others states are taking part in? The Great Central U.S. Shake Out! It's taking place April 28th. It's a drill that coincides with Earthquake Preparedness Month. The New Madrid and Wabash Valley seismic zones are located in southern IL (and continue through other states). The exercise is an opportunity for schools and businesses to practice the instruction to 'Drop, Cover, and Hold On'. During an earthquake we're instructed to Drop to the ground; take Cover under a desk or table; and Hold On to the furniture until the shaking ends. If you're interested in learning more about this Great Central U.S. Shake Out, or other facets of earthquake preparedness, visit the ready.illinois.gov website and click the earthquake preparedness link.


I'm always looking for good recipes that use food storage, and I found a good one this week in one of my recipe books! Oats are a big part of my food storage and they're extremely healthy. The problem is that many people don't like to eat them. I love to eat them, but even I have gotten tired of my regular bowl of oatmeal lately. So, I was more than excited to find this scrumptious recipe! You'll use ingredients that (I hope) you already have in your pantry.

Crispy Breakfast Slices
3 cups water
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 cups quick-cooking oats (or whole oats and cook longer)
butter
In a saucepan, bring water, sugar, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg to a boil. Stir in oats. Return to a boil; cook 1 minute. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 5 minutes. Pour into a greased 8-1/2-in. x 4-1/2-in. x 2-1/2-in. loaf pan. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Unmold and cut into 1/2-in. slices. Fry in butter in a skillet over medium heat until browned, about 6-8 minutes. Serve with syrup if desired.
*I also added some of my dehydrated apple slices and raisins. You could add any dried fruits or nuts that you have on hand for added nutrition and taste.

I hope you like the recipe. I thought it was quite tasty!


Prep On!
Gen-IL Homesteader

------------------------------------------
Join the APN Forum at www.AmericanPreppersNetwork.net
Visit the Illinois Forum at www.IllinoisPreppersNetwork.net

No comments:

Illinois Preppers Network Est. Jan 17, 2009 All contributed articles owned and protected by their respective authors and protected by their copyright. Illinois Preppers Network is a trademark protected by American Preppers Network Inc. All rights reserved. No content or articles may be reproduced without explicit written permission.