If you've landed on this blog by mistake, please follow this link:


www.Illinois.PreppersNetwork.com

Please update your bookmarks and the links on your sites.



Join our forum at:


Saturday, January 23, 2010

How did you add to your preps this week?


This week we were in good health, so I was able to do some of the canning that I wanted to get done. I made a batch of raspberry jam from frozen raspberries. (Raspberry is my favorite jam!) Then, I tried a new recipe for canning meatballs in sauce, using the tomato sauce that I had canned out of last year's garden. I'm excited about the meatballs because hubby likes them when I make spaghetti, but I don't enjoy making them too much. Now I have 12 meals worth of meatballs in jars on the shelf! Next, I canned a mixture of carrots, potatoes, and peas to use in chicken pot pie. I'm hoping that this year I can put some more jars up with produce from the garden, if the bunnies will leave my pea plants alone!!


I also made a trip to the grocery store and got 15 pounds of 97 and 94% ground beef for .99/lb!! The grocery that we shop at always puts food on clearance when it gets near the expiration date. It gets bought up quicker than you can blink! I was fortunate that I was right there when the meat man was putting the ground beef out. I would love it if the meat came from my own cows, but since there are no cows here, I'll settle for what I can get!


Did you add to your preps this week?


Prep on!
Gen-IL Homesteader

No comments:

Illinois Preppers Network Est. Jan 17, 2009 All contributed articles owned and protected by their respective authors and protected by their copyright. Illinois Preppers Network is a trademark protected by American Preppers Network Inc. All rights reserved. No content or articles may be reproduced without explicit written permission.